Are You Registration Ready?

Professional Engineers Registration Bill 2019

The Victorian Government has now passed legislation requiring any person in certain areas (see below) conducting an engineering service in Victoria to be registered as a professional engineer, as is already the case in Queensland. It protects the title of “Professional Engineer”. This is a historic moment for the engineering profession in Victoria, and finally provides recognition of the vital role that engineers play in building our world and protecting our communities.

Registration will commence from 1 July 2021 with a staged implementation.

The Victorian Engineers Registration Scheme is a co-regulatory model where an assessment is done by a professional engineering body and then the engineer registers with the Business Licencing Authority. The assessment entities will verify the qualifications, experience and competency of professional engineers for registration.

Once assessed by an assessment entity as eligible the engineer with the apply to the Victorian Government for registration.

You can find out more information by visiting

APEA is an assessment entity in Queensland and expects to be in Victoria.

Association of Professional Engineers (APEA – a division of Professionals Australia) expect to be an assessment entity for registration in Victoria (as we currently are in Queensland).

We get a lot of questions about Victorian Engineering Registration, we have answered commonly asked questions in the drop downs below.

If you can’t see your question here, please don’t hesitate to contact the team on 1300 273 762 or at or visit Victorian Engineering Registration



You would either need to complete a Master of Engineering that is under the Washington Accord or complete a Stage One Competency Assessment in the Professional Engineer category.
You would need to complete a Stage One Competency Assessment in the Professional Engineer category.
Yes, having RPEng is your key to letting others know that you are a Registered Professional Engineer of Professionals Australia. It also let’s others know that you have the qualifications and experience that is required to carry out the engineering work that is required.
You can use clients as referees as well, if they meet the eligibility requirements.
An engineer is working under direct supervision when a qualified and experienced registered professional engineer must review or sign off their work to ensure it is of an appropriate standard. These arrangements have worked successfully in Queensland for many years. Practice notes are issued by the Board of Professional Engineers Queensland (BPEQ) to guide professional engineers in complying with, and understanding the requirements of, the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (QLD) and the Code of Practice. According to the Queensland practice note, depending on the nature of the service being supervised, direct contact need not be in person, but may be through written correspondence (letters, photos, drawings, or emails), telephone, or voice or video chat. It is expected Consumer Affairs Victoria will publish similar practice notes in due course.
Any individual who provides ‘professional engineering services’ is to be registered.

Consistent with Queensland’s legislation, ‘professional engineering service’ is defined to mean an engineering service that requires, or is based on, the application of engineering principles and data:

  • (a) to a design relating to engineering; or
  • (b) to a construction, production, operation or maintenance activity relating to engineering;

other than an engineering service that is provided only in accordance with a prescriptive standard. A prescriptive standard is a document which contains procedures or criteria for engineering services which do not require scientifically based calculations.
Interstate and international engineers who provide professional engineering services for Victoria will be required to be registered.
Yes, if you are providing professional engineering services within the state of Victoria.
The areas of engineering that must be registered are:

  • Civil
  • Structural
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • Fire Safety
This includes sub-disciplines of these areas. Please refer to the documentation from the Victorian Government.